We all love the look of a beautifully tanned body but everyone is aware of what the risks of lying out in the sun involve. Many people are unfamiliar with spray tans and what is involved so I thought I would write an article to answer some of the more frequently asked questions.
1. Why Should I Use a Spray Tanning Machine? The most obvious answer to this question is that it is by far the safest method of getting a tan without exposing yourself to natural sunlight. In the past sun beds were very popular but these actually use ultraviolet bulbs which expose your skin to UV-A rays. These UV-A rays penetrate deep into the skin and can be even more damaging than natural sunlight.
2. What Is Used To Apply The Tan? A spray tanning machine is used to apply a tanning solution. It is comprated of a compressor and airbrush.
3. How Long Does It Take? A tanning session usually usuallys somewhere between 20 and 30 minutes.
4. How Does It Work? A spray tan works by the active ingredient, DHA (dihydroxyacetone), reacting with the amino acids in the outer layer of skin. That is why spray tans need to be reapplied regularly, as our skin cells are constantly being shed and a new skin layer forming.
5. Is It Safe? Yes, it is a very safe method of acquiring a tan. DHA was approved by the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) in 1973. It is a colorless chemical which is derived from glycerine. Glycerin has been used for many years as an ingredient in foods and cosmetics. As it is not absorbed through the skin into the body it means there is no risk of toxicity.
6. Is It Expensive? Costs do vary so you should shop around for the best deal. Although it may seem expensive to maintain a spray tan you need to keep in mind that it is a much preferable option than the possibility of getting skin cancers, or even melanoma, which is often fatal.
7. What Else Should I Be Aware Of? The most important thing to remember is that a spray tan does not protect you from the harmful UV rays of the sun so you should avoid being in direct sunlight where possible, or if you are outside then make sure you are covered by either clothing, or sunscreen lotion, or both, and always wear a hat.
So as you can see, it is perfectly safe to get a use a spray tanning machine to ensure that you get a beautiful tan with even coverage and no blotchy or streaky patches.