thai soccer team wild boars argentina football spt intl_00003423

Thai cave boys appear on US talk show Ellen


Dressed in the jerseys of their “Wild Boars” soccer team, the 12 young Thai boys and their coach joined host Ellen DeGeneres to discuss their tense rescue in July.

As a present, DeGeneres gifted each of the team a personalized soccer jersey with her logo on the front. Then, after asking who their favorite player was, the host revealed football star Ibrahimovic.

Amid excited smiles from the Thai team, Ibrahimovic high-fived all the players before complimenting them on their bravery.

“I thought I was brave, but these kids, this team, is more braver than me … This is probably the best team in the world,” he said.

Speaking through a Thai translator, the boys and their coach took turns answering questions. They said they didn’t know their rescue was being so closely watched until they arrived in the hospital following their escape.

When DeGeneres asked if it was true that three boys had their birthdays while being stuck in the cave, there was a groan of sympathy from the audience.

Then the translator corrected her that it was actually four boys. “Happy birthday!” DeGeneres said, followed by applause. The boys elaborated later that they didn’t celebrate their birthdays while they were in the cave.

Courtesy of DeGeneres, the Thai boys were then given passes to see Ibrahimovic play in his next game with the LA Galaxy football club.

Asked what they wanted to do in the future, the boys said they wanted to receive a “good education” and get “good jobs.” “(Also to) be a professional soccer player so that they can take care of their families,” the translator said, to applause.

The team’s appearance follows an earlier trip to the Youth Olympic Summer Games in Buenos Aires, Argentina, where they toured soccer club River Plate’s Monumental stadium.



Read Full Story

Two Koreas, U.N. Command to hold first meeting on demilitarizing border

Two Koreas, U.N. Command hold first talks on disarming border


SEOUL (Reuters) – North Korea, South Korea and the United Nations Command (UNC) held their first three-way talks on Tuesday to discuss demilitarizing the border as the two Koreas push for peace, Seoul’s defense ministry said.

FILE PHOTO: North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and South Korean President Moon Jae-in talk while taking a walk at Samjiyon Guesthouse in Ryanggang province, North Korea, September 20, 2018. Pyeongyang Press Corps/Pool via REUTERS

The two Koreas agreed during last month’s summit in Pyongyang to form a tripartite consultation with the UNC, which overlaps with U.S. forces in the South and oversees affairs in the Demilitarised Zone (DMZ), to facilitate their plan to disarm one of the world’s most heavily fortified frontiers.

The accord includes halting military exercises, a no-fly zone near their border and the gradual removal of landmines and guard posts within the DMZ.

The closed-door meeting took place at the border village of Panmunjom and was led by colonel-level military officials from each side, the ministry said in a statement.

As an initial step, the two Koreas are seeking to pull out 11 guard posts within a 1 km radius of the Military Demarcation Line by the end of this year.

They began demining in several small areas this month and will build roads to facilitate a pilot project slated for April to excavate remains of soldiers missing from the 1950-53 Korean War.

Both sides will also withdraw all firearms from the Joint Security Area (JSA) at Panmunjom, scale down personnel stationed there to 35 on each side in line with the armistice agreement, and share information of their surveillance equipment.

Tourists from both sides and overseas will be allowed to freely come and go within the JSA.

The measures, designed to come about over the period of one month, would transform the border into a “place of peace and reconciliation,” the ministry has said.

“Most of the operations will actually be executed by the two Koreas but ensuring UNC support matters, as it has U.S. elements and also manages the Military Armistice Commission,” a South Korean military source said on condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the issue.

The two Koreas agreed on Monday to begin reconnecting rail and road links in spite of U.S. concerns that the rapid North-South thaw could undermine efforts to press North Korea to give up its nuclear weapons.

North Korea and the rich, democratic South are technically still at war because the Korean War ended in a truce, not a peace treaty.

Reporting by Hyonhee Shin and Joyce Lee; editing by Stephen Coates



Read Full Story

Turkish police leave Saudi consulate in Istanbul after nine hours: witness

Turkish police leave Saudi consulate in Istanbul after nine hours: witness


ISTANBUL (Reuters) – A team of Turkish police investigating the disappearance of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, who vanished after entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul two weeks ago, spent more than nine hours in the building, a Reuters witness said.

A Turkish forensic expert is seen as he works inside a room of Consul General of Saudi Arabia Mohammad al-Otaibi at Saudi Arabia’s consulate in Istanbul, Turkey October 15, 2018. REUTERS/Murad Sezer

A crime scene investigation team of around 10 people left the consulate after completing a search early on Tuesday, the witness said.

Khashoggi, a U.S. resident, Washington Post columnist and leading critic of the powerful Saudi crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman, vanished after entering the consulate to get marriage documents. Turkish officials say they believe he was murdered there and his body removed.

Four forensic vehicles arrived outside the consulate and took away soil samples as well as a metal door from the garden, the Reuters witness said. A police dog was part of the search team.

A Turkish diplomatic source had earlier said that a joint Turkish-Saudi team would search the consulate – the last place Khashoggi was seen before he vanished on Oct. 2.

Reporting by Murad Sezer; Writing by Ece Toksabay, editing by Darren Schuettler



Read Full Story

Meghan and Harry expecting their first child

Meghan and Harry kick off Australia tour with baby gifts and koala visit


The Duke and Duchess of Sussex began the first day of their first Australian tour with an official welcome ceremony at Admiralty House in Sydney, where they were presented with some quintessentially Aussie gifts — a pair of baby Ugg boots and a kangaroo doll.

The gifts were given to Meghan and Harry by Australian Governor-General Queen Sir Peter Cosgrove, Elizabeth II’s official representative in Australia, and his wife, Lady Lynne Cosgrove.

SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - OCTOBER 16: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle look at a plush kangaroo with Australia's Governor-General Peter Cosgrove and his wife, Lynne Cosgrove.

The royal couple announced Meghan’s pregnancy Monday, just hours after she and Harry landed in Sydney. Tuesday marks their first public appearance since announcing the news.

Lady Lynne Cosgrove,  Prince Harry, Australia Governor-General Peter Cosgrove and Meghan Markle pose during a Welcome Event at Admiralty House on Tuesday in Sydney.

Meghan and Harry also visited Sydney’s Targona Zoo, where they were introduced to two Koalas who recently gave birth to joeys Meghan and Harry, named to mark the royal visit.

They then traveled across the harbor by boat to the Sydney Opera House. Inside, they watched a a performance by the Bangarra Dance Theatre, an acclaimed Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander modern dance company.

Prince Harry and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex meet Ruby, a mother Koala who gave birth to koala joey Meghan.

After the performance, Harry and Meghan met with well-wishers outside the famed building, many of whom had been waiting for hours in the Sydney sun to catch a glimpse of the royal couple.

Harry and Meghan then spent some time shaking hands and chatting with members of the crowd, which was estimated to number between 3,500 to 4,000 people according to CNN affiliate Nine News Australia.

Many of those in attendance were reportedly carrying gifts for the couple’s baby.



Read Full Story

245 kids from separated families are still in US custody

245 kids from separated families are still in US custody


Most of the 245 children in custody have parents who were removed from the United States — 175 children, according to the latest government tally.

Of those, only 18 children are currently in the pipeline to reunite with their parents in their countries of origin, according to court documents. Deported parents of 125 kids in custody have said they don’t want their children to be returned to the countries of origin. And there are 32 children in government custody for whom the American Civil Liberties Union has not yet provided notice of whether parents want to reunify or decline reunification, officials said.

An additional approximately 70 children who remain in custody include 27 whose parents are in the US but have chosen not to be reunified with their children, as well as 26 whose parents have been deemed unfit to be reunified. That tally also includes 13 children the US government is working to discharge who have parents in the US. The government says three other children can’t be reunited with parents who are in the US at this time because there are red flags for safety or a parent is in criminal detention.

A status hearing in the family separations case is scheduled for Tuesday afternoon.

In June, US District Judge Dana Sabraw ordered the government to reunite most of the families it had divided, including parents and children who had been separated as a result of the government’s now-reversed “zero tolerance” policy at the border and some separations that occurred before that policy was put in place.

Since then, 2,070 children have been discharged from government custody and reunited with parents, according to Monday’s court filing.

And so far, 79 of those children have been reunited with parents in their countries of origin. Officials have faced major hurdles trying to reach the deported parents of children who remain in custody in the United States.

The ACLU is still struggling to reach some parents — at least five, according to the latest tally — to determine whether they want their children sent back to them in their countries of origin or prefer for them to remain in the US to have a chance at winning asylum.

Officials have stressed that the numbers are constantly changing, and attorneys are still debating them as they meet to sort out the next steps in the case.

ICE put a 4-year-old on a plane to Guatemala. Her dad found out 30 minutes before she landed

In the joint filing, attorneys raised several issues that will likely come up in court on Tuesday:

  • Government attorneys responded to concerns raised by plaintiffs’ attorneys that they aren’t doing enough to swiftly implement a settlement agreement that dictates the next steps for parents and children in reunified families who are seeking asylum. “Defendants have significant concerns — legal, practical, and equitable — with the complete and immediate implementation that Plaintiffs have demanded,” the filing says.
  • The ACLU noted that it remains concerned about government decisions to remove children and parents from lists of class members or children in government custody.
  • Government attorneys noted they’ve been working on improving communication and advance notification about repatriation flights. The ACLU says it “continues to raise concerns about timely information for repatriations” with government attorneys as they arise.



Read Full Story

Turkish police leave Saudi consulate in Istanbul: witness

Turkish police leave Saudi consulate in Istanbul: witness


ISTANBUL (Reuters) – A team of Turkish police investigating the disappearance of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi has left the Saudi consulate building in Istanbul, a Reuters witness said on Tuesday.

A Turkish forensic expert is seen as he works inside a room of Consul General of Saudi Arabia Mohammad al-Otaibi at Saudi Arabia’s consulate in Istanbul, Turkey October 15, 2018. REUTERS/Murad Sezer

Turkish police investigators had entered the consulate late on Monday.

A Turkish diplomatic source had earlier said that a joint Turkish-Saudi team would search the consulate – the last place Khashoggi was seen before he vanished on Oct. 2.

Reporting by Hesham Hajali; editing by Darren Schuettler



Read Full Story

Trump surveys Michael's wrath; rescuers search for survivors

Trump surveys Michael’s wrath, rescuers search for bodies


LYNN HAVEN, Fla. (Reuters) – U.S. President Donald Trump got a first-hand look on Monday at the “total devastation” that Hurricane Michael brought to Florida, as rescuers searched for scores of missing people and hundreds of thousands of residents remained without power.

Trump and first lady Melania Trump passed out bottles of water at an aid center in Lynn Haven, a city of about 18,500 people near Panama City in northwestern Florida, after taking a helicopter flight from Eglin Air Force Base about 100 miles (160 km) to the west.

“To see this personally is very tough – total devastation,” said Trump, who later traveled to neighboring Georgia to see storm damage there.

At least 18 deaths in four states have been blamed on Michael, which crashed into the Panhandle last Wednesday as one of the most powerful storms on record to hit the continental United States.

Thousands of rescuers, including volunteers, are still combing remote areas of the Florida Panhandle for those reported missing. An estimated 30 to 40 people remained unaccounted for in Mexico Beach, according to a city councillor, Rex Putnal. The town of about 1,200 residents took a direct hit from the hurricane, and at least one person died there, according to the mayor.

With most Mexico Beach homes already searched for survivors, rescue workers began using cadaver dogs to find any bodies that might be buried under piles of debris.

“We’re sifting through it to make sure there wasn’t anybody that could have been inside, using dogs like that, human remains dogs, they pick up the scent,” said Ignatius Carroll, a Miami fire captain who leads a Federal Emergency Management Agency rescue team, said by phone.

About 200,000 people remained without power in the U.S. Southeast, with residents cooking with fires and barbecue grills in hard-hit coastal towns such as Port St. Joe, Florida.

U.S. President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump walk down a street with Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen, Folrida Governor Rick Scott and FEMA Director Brock Long in the town of Lynn Haven, Florida, as they tour areas ravaged by Hurricane Michael in Florida and Georgia, U.S., October 15, 2018. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque

BILLIONS IN INSURED LOSSES

Insured losses for wind and storm surge from Hurricane Michael will run between an estimated $6 billion and $10 billion, risk modeler AIR Worldwide said. Those figures do not include losses paid out by the National Flood Insurance Program or uninsured property, AIR Worldwide said.

With top sustained winds of 155 miles per hour (250 kph), Michael hit the Florida Panhandle as a Category 4 hurricane on the five-step Saffir-Simpson scale.

CrowdSource Rescue said its teams were trying to check on 1,300 people in the disaster zone in the Florida Panhandle who are unaccounted for by loved ones, down from about 2,100 as of Friday, according to Matthew Marchetti, co-founder of the Houston-based group.

A 78-year-old woman was found by CrowdSource volunteers on Monday in Panama City outside her wrecked house, surviving on persimmons she picked from a tree in the yard.

“When I arrived to her home, her entire roof was lying in her front yard,” said volunteer Russ Montgomery from San Antonio.

Slideshow (28 Images)

Water service was restored to some in Panama City on Monday but Bay County officials said it was not yet safe to drink.

While power was returning in most areas, at least 85 percent of customers in four mainly rural Panhandle counties were without electricity on Monday. Officials said it could be weeks before power returns to the most-damaged areas.

Reporting by Steve Holland; Additional reporting by Terray Sylvester, Bernie Woodall in Florida, Makini Brice and Roberta Rampton in Washington, Rich McKay in Atlanta, Steve Gorman in Los Angeles and Andrew Hay in New Mexico; Editing by Will Dunham and Peter Cooney



Read Full Story

NDTV

Terrorist Attacks CRPF Camp In Jammu And Kashmir’s Pulwama, 2 Soldiers Injured


Two soldiers were injured after a terrorist attacked a CRPF camp in Jammu and Kashmir’s Pulwama last night. The terrorist attacked the sentry post of the CRPF camp in Kakapura, an official said.

The two soldiers who had bullet injuries were taken to the District Hospital in Pulwama.

The area was cordoned off following the attack.

The attack comes days after a Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) terrorist was killed in Jammu and Kashmir’s Kangan.

The attack comes weeks after terrorists attacked a CRPF camp in Pulwama. One soldier was injured. Security personnel at the camp of the 183 battalion of the Central Reserve Police Force in Newa retaliated when the came under attack, officials said. The grenade which the terrorists threw at the camp did not explode.



Read Full Story